Saturday, April 2, 2016

Does Charity Really Never Fail?

Found this cute picture here
This week in my scripture reading, I came across Moroni 7:45-47. 45 And charity‍ suffereth long, and is kind, and envieth‍ not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth, beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
 46 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, if ye have not charity, ye are nothing, for charity never faileth. Wherefore, cleave unto charity, which is the greatest of all, for all things must fail—
 47 But charity‍ is the pure love‍ of Christ, and it endureth forever; and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him.
I started thinking about charity, and what it means.
Being a member of the church for longer than I haven't, I have had ample opportunities to serve others around me. I realize that as members of the LDS church, we don't have the market on service. But we do belong to a church that really emphasizes service. Wasn't that what the Relief Society was created for? On lds.org, we read under The Purpose of Relief Society "Working in unity with priesthood brethren, we minister to and help those in need with charity, the pure love of Christ. As we do these things, we become  “one” with the Father and the Son." As I was looking up the history of Relief Society, I came across this article "“Something Extraordinary”: The Beginnings of the Relief Society" It says, "Two women, Sarah M. Kimball and Margaret Cook, discussed how they could make clothing for the workmen, and they invited about a dozen women to join them in forming a sewing society. When they told Joseph Smith about their idea, he praised their efforts but told them that the Lord had “something better for them.
On March 17, 1842, Joseph Smith and other priesthood leaders met with 20 women in the upper room of Red Brick Store to organize this “something better.” Eliza R. Snow was elected as secretary of the group, and she and others carefully recorded the proceedings of each meeting in this minute book.
The Relief Society had a much grander vision than other ladies’ societies of the time. More than a social club or a charitable organization, Joseph Smith taught, “the Society is not only to relieve the poor, but to save souls.”"
Today, the Relief Society is one of the larges women's organizations in the world, and one of the first to help whenever it is needed. From natural disasters, to humanitarian needs, to neighborly needs. The sisters in Relief Society are, in my opinion, the front line of the church. How often do we hear about Sister so and so, who just had a baby and needs some help with meals? Who organizes that? The Relief Society sisters. When a family member is lost, who are the first to show up? The sisters. When a new family moves in to the neighborhood, who comes by to say hi first? The sisters. I don't mean just the sisters who attend Relief Society on Sundays. All adults sisters in the ward are a part of the Relief Society. So how can those of us who serve outside of Relief Society serve, and have charity for others?
Now, this is my blog, and my opinion, so I'm just going to tell you what I think. I think we have charity for others by being kind and compassionate. We don't need to sit in Relief Society to do that. Don't get me wrong, I love Relief Society. I love being with the sisters, especially the older sisters. I love hearing their point of view on things, since they have raised their families and 'walked the walk'. I also love hearing about their grandchildren and how much they love them, since that time of my life is fast approaching. Mostly, I love seeing how much they love each other, and how much they love the Lord. Sitting in a meeting and listening to a sister talk about a trial in her life, and how she has come out stronger has helped my testimony more times than I can count.
So what do we do when we can't sit in those meetings? I think we do our best to magnify our callings, and look for opportunities to serve those around us. Sometimes that happens while we are in our current calling. I serve as the Young Women's secretary, and I have had opportunities to serve and have charity for the other sisters in Young Women's. When I was in primary, I was able to serve by watching the other sisters during sharing time, and ask the Lord to show me if anyone needed me. When we take the time to ask the Lord to help us find ways to exercise charity, we will uncover them left and right. And when we live our life in line with the gospel, we can have the spirit with us, to whisper sometimes, "You haven't seen Sister so and so in a while. Maybe you should call or text her." I can honestly say when I have done that, I have blessed just as much, if not more than the people who I serve.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I'll leave my comments about it on the show and tell board online. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete